Monday, August 23, 2004

Almost to Camp Muir.

On Sunday a few friends and I set out to reach Camp Muir (Camp Muir is where climbers setup base camp to summit Rainier.) on Mt. Rainier. You start out at roughly 5,000 feet and trek up to 10,000 feet all within 5 miles, for a total of 10 miles round trip. Even though we didn’t make it all the way to Camp Muir, I found this to be a difficult hike. We ended up hiking roughly 5 miles (round trip) with some steep evaluation climbs. I was amazed to see the amount of gear people were carrying up the mountain, in efforts to make the summit of 14,000 feet. In the end we made it roughly 2.5 miles from Camp Muir to the Muir snowfields, which is around 8,000 (is) feet. My goal for the day was to set out and challenge myself, and push myself a bit… and I managed to accomplish all of the above. I plan on trying to reach Camp Muir sometime in September w/ better gear and a bit more drive to reach 10,000 feet.

Thanks to Will and Kyle, letting me run point and allowing for a slower pace.

Rob

I’ve included some pics from our trip, enjoy…












0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home